I was spooning drops of chocolate chip cookie dough on a waxed paper lined sheet tray.
Trying to be in the present moment.
Showing my daughter how to shape the dough into little circles, watching them dance and rise and spread out on the heat of the pan.
What I tried to keep kicking was the unrelenting pressure that I feel right now. The one where all purpose and meaning feels like it’s seeping out of your pores.
When you do feel like ‘crying over spilt milk’.
I have been feeling this way for a couple of months. I threw myself into two university degrees straight after high school, chased a new career as a Nurse — and looking back started my business in sales after my daughter was born — I think to find purpose out of the routine of motherhood.
I don’t think that I have been idle for a long time.
I know that my heart and soul need, quiet, but I also have a sliver (or more) of my soul which craves intentional work and purpose. I just don’t know what that looks like right now beyond what I have on my plate.
So, when it all feels a bit murky, and the pressure feels a bit high here are a couple of tips to get through:
- Get real with what you actually need to do — plan out your time and back-track any major projects.
- Don’t quit on a crappy day
- Give yourself space online — plan ‘vanilla’ posts and keep it neutral. Tick along, but don’t react.
- Find a way to boost your serotonin
- Be patient
- Say NO unless you feel it’s going to bring your joy, fun, restoration or personal expansion — FOMO is so damaging when you’re in a muddled state.
- Honor where you are, but don’t make it your identity.
- Separate the GOOD from the BAD — and choose to focus on as much good as you can.
I’m sharing these with you because I feel like I’m in a major holding pattern. But what I do know, and what is keeping me slowly working through it — is knowing that there is such a beautiful life-giving marrow to the stuck. We just have to choose to learn it at the speed that it wants to reveal itself.
Mish Pope is a women’s empowerment Life Coach, Public Speaker, and Entrepreneur. She is passionate about journeying with women to unearth a life which feels aligned, radiant and unapologetic.
She is the founder of the podcast ‘In Her Own Way’ where women from all walks of life discuss how to live life in their own way.
Mish is available for guest writing contributions, public speaking engagements & podcast interviews. She can be contacted online for these inquiries.
If you’re interested in life coaching with Mish, please visit her life coaching page.