Gluten-Free French Toas w/ Fruit Compote
1 serve w/ egg whites only (4-4 1/2 pts)
Fruit Compote (1-1 1/2 pts.)
Whatever fruit you have around. I used banana, peach, nectarine
Cut them all up and put with a little bit of soy milk or water in a sauce pan
Gently boil them all down until they can be mashed, or you can leave them chunky
I like to flavour with a little cinnamon and/or vanilla
4 egg whites (1 pt), or 2 whole eggs (3 pts)
Large dash of cinnamon
Dash of fresh sea salt ground
2 pieces of gluten free bread (2 pts)
*Butter, Honey and/or Real Maple Syrup
- Mix egg whites with ground sea salt and cinnamon by whisking with a fork. Best to place them in something like a pie pan. You need to be able to place a piece of bread into it without having the egg whites go everywhere–hence plates sometimes aren’t the best option.
- Let pieces of bread sit about 1-2 minutes per side in the egg white cinnamon mixture.
- Heat a skilled to high or medium-high. Add a little butter if you want (I can’t eat, so I don’t add)
- Cook for about 2-4 minutes on each side, until they get a nice crispy outside.
- The compote should be warm, so if you’re making it on the morning of great! If it is frozen, defrost.
- Once the bread is done layer with the fruit compote. Bread, Fruit, Bread, Fruit.
- I usually cook up the leftover egg whites and add them into the middle between the two slices of bread. It just adds extra protein..which is what I need at the moment.
- If you can handle extra sugar (Which I can’t) you could add honey or REAL maple syrup.